Quick, easy, and deliciously creamy soup packed with cheesy tortellini and fresh spinach.
This simple and delicious recipe is an alternative to the authentic soup Mike Calvani grew up eating in his Italian grandmother’s kitchen. It’s a great meal for those cold winter nights when you want to have something hot but easy for dinner with the family.
Servings: 6 Servings
Calories: 237 kcal
Author: Katerina | Diethood.com
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 yellow onion, diced
• 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
• 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1 package (12-ounces) frozen tortellini
• 1 bag (5-ounces) fresh baby spinach
• 1 cup cream OR milk OR half-and-half
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan or soup pot.
2. Add onion, garlic, carrots, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; cook over medium-low heat for 6 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Whisk in flour; whisk until crumbly.
4. Slowly add broth and continue to vigorously whisk until everything is well combined and there are no clumps.
5. Bring soup to a boil.
6. Add frozen tortellini and spinach.
7. Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and heated through.
8. Stir in cream or milk; bring back to a steady boil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and thickened.
9. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
10. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust accordingly.